Tuesday, December 29, 2009

#344) GENE WALTER

Gene Walter was traded with Kevin McReynolds and Adam Ging by the San Diego Padres to the New York Mets in exchange for Kevin Mitchell, Stan Jefferson, and Shawn Abner on December 11, 1986. "Initially," Walter was quoted recalling the shock after the trade, "I thought to myself: 'Oh no, not the Mets.' I didn't know where I'd fit in. They'd just won the World Series." He then realized that a strong left-handed reliever was important in helping limit the innings of closer, Jesse Orossco. "I began to see the trade as a great opportunity." Gene recanted. He would pitch well in the bullpen for two seasons, but was overshadowed by the extremely talented pitching staff of those years. Walter was traded by the Mets to the Seattle Mariners for Edwin Nunez on July 11, 1988.

I created his card in the set from an autographed index card that came from the collection of David Seeman. Mr. Seeman wrote a letter to every living ballplayer between 1952 and 1990 before his passing. In this case it was a postcard that had been signed (as instructed) and even had David's mailing address on the reverse side of the signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment