Monday, May 10, 2010

#778) CHRIS AGUILA

Chris Aguila signed with the New York Mets as a free agent on February 12, 2008. He was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans out of spring training camp. Chris was playing very well for them at the time he was promoted to New York. Batting for a .528 average, with seven home runs over a nine game period. "I wouldn't look at myself as a big home run guy," Aguila said. "I was swinging the bat pretty good, and happened to hit some home runs. But I wasn't out there trying to do that. It just happened."

Chris made his Mets' debut on June 11, 2008 at Shea Stadium facing the Arizona Diamondbacks. The outfielder would get a hit in the 5-3 New York victory. One of only three games in which he would appear before being returned to the New Orleans Zephyrs.

When the Mets placed Luis Castillo on the disabled list and optioned pitcher, Carlos Muniz to Triple-A, both Aguila and Argenis Reyes were promoted to New York on July 3rd. After five more appearances in which he would only manage one hit in six at-bats, Chris was granted free agency on September 29, 2008.

Chris comes from a widely varied ethnic background. His father is of Filipino and Spanish decent, and his mother is Samoan, Tongan, and Fijian. He learned the Polynesian Fire Knife Dance when he was a youth. "Because of the danger, I wasn't taught the Fire Knife Dance until I was 16. Basically, it's twirling and spinning a burning knife while someone is playing the drums. Sometimes I'll put it on my tongue. It's a lot of fun." Aguila explained.

Chris Aguila signed his card in the set for my friend Eric when the Colorado Springs Sky Sox visited the Las Vegas 51s at Cashman Field on May 2, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment