Monday, May 31, 2010

#624) KANE DAVIS

The New York Mets acquired Kane Davis from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for Corey Brittan on February 21, 2001. The hard-throwing right-hander was brought in to provide depth to the Mets bullpen. He made his Mets debut on April 3, 2002. Davis gave up a hit and struck out a batter in his 1/3-inning performance at Shea Stadium facing the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Elbow problems that had plagued him the previous season in Colorado had returned. At the beginning of March he received a cortisone shot in his right elbow. It reduced the inflammation, and Davis had some success initially. Kane struck out 24 batters in just 14 innings of work. By his last game on May 12th, his ERA had rose to 7.07 and something was obviously wrong. An MRI determined a tear in the flexor tendon. The team suggested the best course of action was rest. "I'm done with cortisone shots," Davis said. "All they do is mask the pain. The next time it happens, I just want to get it fixed and be done with it."

Season-ending surgery was performed on July 9, 2002. He was granted free agency at the end of the year and returned to pitching with the Iowa Cubs in 2003. Davis has been a part of several teams in the independent Atlantic League throughout the later years of his professional baseball career.

Kane Davis signed his card in the set for my friend, Lou before the Lancaster Barnstormers and Long Island Ducks game at Suffolk Sports Park in Central Islip, New York on May 11, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Lee,
    I may be able to help you out with your project I go to a lot of games and a lot of different leagues on the east coast let me know who you need and I can let you know who I have access to if you make up two of your cards I could get them signed and mail you one back let me know. Thanks, Dion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee,
    I think I can help you with your project if you send me a list of the players you still need I can let you know who I can get and we can work something out. maybe if you send me to of you customs I can get them send and send you back one or something else Thanks, Dion my email is soskinfamily@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete