Monday, May 17, 2010

#111) AMOS OTIS

Amos Otis was drafted by the New York Mets from the Boston Red Sox in the minor league draft on November 29, 1966. He made his major league debut while a member of the Mets on September 6, 1967. The young prospect was an end of the season call-up and appeared in 19 games. Amos collected his first big-league hit on September 14th off future Hall of Famer, Phil Niekro facing the Braves in Atlanta.

Amos was returned back to the minor leagues until his return to New York in April of 1969. He would break camp with the Miracle Mets, but not be a part of the club that claimed the World Championship. Unable to secure an everyday position the struggling outfielder was sent to Triple-A Tidewater in mid-June. Once again he would be promoted in September to finish the year. "I didn't even hit my weight with the Mets in '69," Otis said, laughing. He was not a part of the post season roster.

Otis was traded along with Bob Johnson to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for Joe Foy on December 3, 1969. He would go on to become an All-Star centerfielder during his 14 years in Kansas City.

Since retiring from the game, Amos has enjoyed playing golf, helping at select baseball clinics, and building his own autograph collection. One of his prized possessions is a signed item featuring the cast members from "The Andy Griffith Show," including Gomer Pyle.

He also still enjoys signing autographs. Amos explained, "The day they stop asking, that's a problem. I'm always thrilled when people recognize me and want my autograph. And it happens every now and then in various cities. I'm always happy to sign autographs, and I don't like the guys who won't sign autographs because, without the fans, there really is no baseball."

I created Amos Otis' card in the set from an autographed index card given to me by my friend, Ritchie on May 10, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment