Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#157) BILL SUDAKIS

Bill Sudakis had his contract purchased from the Los Angeles Dodgers by the New York Mets on March 27, 1972. As a prospect he had been so highly regarded that the Dodgers had moved fellow prospect, Steve Garvey to first base to open up third base for Sudakis. "Suds" would make his Mets' debut on July 11, 1972 facing the San Francisco Giants at Shea Stadium. He was assigned to the team's Double-A Memphis Blues club in August. After 25 games he had a .167 batting average there. Despite that Bill was recalled to the Mets when major league rosters expanded in September. During his two short stints with New York, the switch-hitter appeared in 18 games and batted .143 with one home run and seven RBIs.

Bill was traded by the Mets to the Texas Rangers in exchange for Bill McNulty on March 28, 1973. The Rangers used Sudakis, who during his career had always been a better hitter than fielder, in the American League's newly introduced designated hitter role.

Bill Sudakis signed his card in the set during a private signing held by Chris Potter Sports in California on May 12, 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing collection so far Lee!

    Just wondering, are the guys you still need the guys whose names are in black or the guys without photos of the cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really nice.

    I was tempted to send something in for Chris Potter's signing myself, but I couldn't quite convince myself to spend that much money when I am nowhere close to completing my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete-

    The ones that I need are listed in black. I am attempting to post all the successes, but as you can see I have a BUNCH to get done! When I do there is a link to that post signified by the underline.

    Thanks for asking,
    -Lee

    ReplyDelete