Tuesday, November 16, 2010


Doug Henry joined the New York Mets when he was traded from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for Fernando Viña and Javier Gonzales on November 30, 1994. He was one of five new pitchers that was added that winter. "He's another veteran addition to our bullpen who has had success on the major league level in both set-up and closer roles," Mets General Manager Joe McIlvaine explained. The 31 year-old made his Mets debut at Coors Field throwing a scoreless inning of relief against the Colorado Rockies on April 26, 1995. Doug had a good first season in New York recording four saves with a 2.96 ERA in 51 appearances.

The right-hander struggled a bit more during the 1996 campaign. Where he increased his saves total to nine it was at the expense of an increased 4.68 ERA in 58 games. The Mets chose to release Henry on November 25, 1996. Doug was signed as a free agent by the San Francisco Giants in January.

It was while a member of the Giants that Henry's favorite memory of Shea Stadium occurred. During the 2000 National League Division Series facing the New York Mets in front of a crowd of 52,000 people. San Francisco manager, Dusty Baker had seen Doug's son catching and asked if he could assist in the bullpen during the playoffs. The occasion called for both a right-hander and left-hander to ready themselves in the bullpen. So the younger Henry prepared his father to enter he game. "I'm going to face Mike Piazza...I walk through the gate and my whole thing was that my son just warmed me up to go into a playoff game," remembers Doug. "That is my best memory in baseball."

A father of four and strong Christian who has enjoyed spending time with his wife and children after his pitching career. Doug also enjoys playing golf and hunting on his land in Wisconsin.

Henry became the pitching coach for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 2002. Moving to the minor-leagues in 2006 and elevating to the Triple-A Omaha Royals coach in 2010.

Doug Henry signed his card in the set from an autograph request sent to his home on June 1, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment