Thursday, December 17, 2009

#708) MIKE DiFELICE

Mike DiFelice first joined the New York Mets when he signed as a free agent on March 31, 2005. He spent most of his first tenure with the Mets playing for Triple-A Norfolk, but did make his Mets' debut on May 17, 2005 at Shea Stadium. Mike appeared in 11 games for the injured Ramon Castro before being released in a roster related move on June 2, 2005. DiFelice returned to the Mets when he resigned as a free agent on May 30, 2006. This time his focus was to be utilized in the minors to mentor the young pitching staff. Ironically both catchers at the major league level became injured and it forced Mike into the starting role in New York during the final two weeks of August 2007.

After his playing career was ended Mike has become a manager in the Mets' minor league system. His first assignment was the Kingsport Mets in the Appalachian League during the 2009 season. DiFelice said, "Maybe I could be in spring training somewhere just getting a couple of at-bats and going through the thing, but it's time. I've still got my legs. I've still got my arm. I've still got my mind, It's time I put it to better use."

Mike DiFelice signed his card in the set for my friend, Allen before a Kingsport Mets game on August 16, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment